     problem

  • From: Anthony Channing <AnthonyC@101Ltd.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 10:06:57 +0100

Hi,

I am currently writing an application for my employer that
makes use of an XML data template and an XSL style
template to output HTML pages for viewing on the web,
which is further formated using CSS stylesheets.

In particular parts of the HTML output I would like to include
the HTML escape character '&nbsp;' for various purposes.
However, if I do this in the XSL style sheet it throws a
wobbly, presumably because &nbsp; is not a recognised
escape sequence.

I have tried using &amp;nbsp; but although this doesn't
generate an error, the '&amp'; doesn't get converted into
a '&', so instead of a blank space, I end up with '&nbsp;'
appearing on the web page, not what I want at all!

I expect most of you here do this all the time, but I can't
find any reference of how to do this in William Pardi's
'XML in Action' and I won't be able to check the
WROX book 'Professional XML' until I get home,
so if anyone could tell me how to do this, or point me
to a web resource with the information I need, I would
be most grateful.

Thanks
Anton
101 Media Ltd