   RE: UDDI, uddi.org and an open source project at SourceForge

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 10:55:29 -0500

To be fair, without the template libraries etc and
stylesheets finally being a tractable affair instead
of requiring the deep knowledge of DSSSL or FOSI, or
the abstractions of HyTime, it was hard to move forward
with a lot of the original initiatives that fed this
sudden burst of cooperation on enterprise sharing document types.
Simplicity has virtues that make cooperation not just
desirable, but absolutely necessary to avoid the speeding
truckload of money and to "getchasum".

Yes as with namespaces, the land grab is on, but at
least it is desirable land finally and not a swamp of
complexity. :-)  OTOH, watching some of my colleagues
struggling, those years in the swamps have the virtue
of training so that these relative deserts battlefields
are easy to master.  I guess I should finally rewrite
Enterprise Engineering but somewhere someone is probably
doing that.  There is a lot to know when creating
process/control models for enterprise entities.  It
will be fun to see how the emergence matches the
prophecies.

QOS?   Quality of service?  Yes, definitely.  That and
poisoning the information well are still problems.  QOS
is an issue with any contract environment and we live
with survival of the fittest, reputation, trust but test
and verify modes as in any negotiated performance.  The difference is
speed and not having automated metrics yet.  So, as
predicted, the catastrophes are still an issue in the
open broadcast/closed loop control systems.  They will
tier the QOS properties no doubt.

"Got forty seven miles of barbed wire and a
cobra snake for a neck tie... who do ya love?"

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol [mailto:gtn@ebt.com]

UDDI is just a registry, and is hence limited in it's
effectiveness by the entries in it... which ultimately
boils down to a degree of trust, because no organization
has control over the registry (yet).

Like domain names, there will probably be fierce competition
over entries in the global repository, and there will be
QOS issues.