   Inserting optional elements

  • From: Paul Spencer <paul.spencer@boynings.co.uk>
  • To: Xml-Dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 18:54:28 +0100

Here's a problem that has been bugging me all afternoon. I have to insert an
element into an XML instance document. I have the XPath to the element, and
I have an XML schema for the document. Logically, I should be able to use
the schema to tell me where amongst its new siblings my new element must go.
But I can't work out a simple general purpose way to do this, given the
variety of ways in which a schema can be structured (and bearing in mind
that some elements are locally scoped, so element names might not be
unique).

Surely I don't have to use regular expressions to break up the XPath and
then work through the various complex data types and elements in the schema?

Any suggestions?

Paul Spencer