   Re: Schematron article

  • From: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 19:12:00 +0800

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com wrote:

> I thought you'd like to know I wrote a motivation of and introduction to The
> Schematron for Sunworld.
>
> http://www.sunworld.com/sunworldonline/swol-09-2000/swol-0908-schematron.html

Thanks. Thats a great article.

Because Schematron works at a level that is sort-of intermediate between
XML Schemas (rather storage-oriented) and RDF (integrating statements
into a semantic web), I haven't expected it to get popular until after
XML Schemas is rolled out, so this article comes at a great time.  (I
see there is also an article on Schematron in German by Oliver Becker
slated for German computer journal iX in a month or two.)

Schematron works quite well with XML Schemas or DTDs (as well as by
itself) because it expresses not only static constraints (a <dog> must
contain a <tail>) but also co-occurence constraints (if <dog sex="f"
then must contain <name>FIFI</name>)  and even constraints based on
external vocaularies in any format (if <dog sex="f" then must contain
<name>
with a value being any item from a list <names> in some external
document).

Rick Jelliffe