   RE: XML Schemas: Best Practices

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:58:08 -0500

Wouldn't the case for the instance exposing the namespaces
for each vocabulary be when the component implementations
for the property sets used in those vocabularies must be
explicit?  Consider the case for a hypothetical real time
3D rendering system that includes an interface to a voice
board.  I might want to combine specific grammars for

1.  Geometry, lighting, the scene description
2.  Character abstractions for different types
    of roles (eg, Puck is of type fairy)
3.  Tagged speeches where each speech has been
    tagged for emotional delivery but not the speaker

I would then want to include each of these into a
final rendering language, but also indicate which
component is required that can interpret say the
speech data.  So do I want to hide that from the
author or do I want the author to ensure, and
the final rendering system to ensure these components
are available?  Certainly I may not need a namespace
to cite the component but that is one means to
indicate the language in use is from a vendor who
also provides the component.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com