   RE: Need a tool that converts HTML into well-formed XML,and noth ing mor

  • From: Dylan Walsh <Dylan.Walsh@Kadius.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:01:43 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From:	Matt Sergeant [SMTP:matt@sergeant.org]
Sent:	Thursday, September 21, 2000 11:36 PM
To:	Frank Boumphrey
Cc:	Christopher R. Maden; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject:	Re: Need a tool that converts HTML into well-formed XML, and
nothing more.

>Browsers are often whitespace sensitive, even where the HTML spec says
>they shouldn't be. If Tidy affects the whitespace in any way (I don't know
>- I don't use it), then it could have an adverse effect on the appearance
>of some web pages.

I think Matt has pointed out a definite issue here. I ran SX (part of James
Clarks SP) on the HTML, and the resulting page had gaps between images where
there were none in the original. The only difference appears to be the
whitespace.

Part of the problem here is that we outsource HTML design from a company
with no XML/XHTML knowledge.