   RE: XML Schemas: ref'ing vs inlining

  • From: nchen <nchen@webmethods.com>
  • To: "'Henry S. Thompson'" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>,'Martin Bryan' <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:20:31 -0400

>> All that is required is that the two 'b' elements have the same type.
Excellent. Part 1, Section 3.7, talks about this, "when two or more element
declarations with the same identity occur at any level within a model group,
their type definitions must be the same"

'must be same' is a strong phrase. But, in my reading I found that the
schema specs do not talk about 'equality of types'. If the processor does
not know anything about equality of types, how would it prove that these two
type definitions are the same. Hence, I infer that it is impossible to
create such a valid model. I am willing to listen.

Thank you for your help.
Ninggang