   ID's in a document ?

  • From: Lothar Behrens <lothar.behrens@okay.net>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 22:31:10 +0200

Hello,

I am new to XML and this list. I found that id's in a xml document
are have to be unique in the document. But I need an id for a specific
area (subtree). The XML specification does not describe such a
posibility.

Is there any solution about this ?

I begun with my workaround, but it is not good to implement that, if
it is already implemented anywhere.

My Idea for an implementation is this:

On the root of a subtree define an attribute like LOCID pointing to a
tagname, that must contain such a local id identifer.

In that tag define an IDPTR pointing to an attributename, that should
be the local id.

Thia can be defined in a dtd file and the parser can handle this
regardless what type of document is being parsed.

So his may be handled by the sax parser.

Is that possible ?

I hope, my first question is not a bad one :-)

Thanks

Lothar

Lothar Behrens    | Company: lothar.behrens@giquadrat.de
Borsteler Bogen 4 |     C++ is the future, LINUX too :-)
22453 Hamburg     |     have a look at www.wxWindows.org