   bug report: msxml3, loadXML()

  • From: Francis Norton <francis@redrice.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:59:24 +0100

This caused me some grief. I think it's an absence-of-error-message bug
and an absence-of-documentation bug even if the behaviour is apparently
"by design".

I've just run into an anomaly with the July MSXML3 loadXML() method (a
non-DOM method for loading XML from a string as if using load() from a
URL).

In the bug center it is documented (search for strings "xml encoding",
choose Q247798) that it only accepts strings in UTG-16 encoding.

This isn't documented in the method documention, however.

And nowhere does it document the fact that an XML doc with an explicit
UTF-8 encoding will be rejected with no error message at all, even if it
is in fact 100% ascii.

Apologies if this is the wrong place for reporting this - true, I am
merely developing with the tool, but I am attempting to feed back to the
tool developers, so maybe it's OK after all.

Francis.
--
Francis Norton.

why not?