   Re: Q: Are entities containing mark-up allowed in attribute values?

  • From: Mark Wutka <mark@wutka.com>
  • To: Rob Lugt <roblugt@bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:49:27 -0400 (EDT)

It doesn't look like there's an explicit restriction against putting
"<" in the entity value, but there is the following restriction:

[10] AttValue ::= '"' ([^<&"] | Reference)* '"' |
                  "'" ([^<&'] | Reference)* "'"

This forbids a "<" in an attribute value. As far as forbidding you to put
a < in an entity and then using that in an attribute, I think there's an
implicit assumption that the expanded entity must contain text that would
be valid in the context it is used.
   Mark