   Subscriber created a mail loop

  • From: xml-dev-help@lists.xml.org
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 13:23:17 -0400 (EDT)

Late this morning (Eastern time) a few people reported getting duplicate
messages from this elist.  Upon investigation it was discovered that one
of the subscribers created a mail loop, sending back to the elist almost
every message he or she received.  This subscriber has been removed from
the elist.

This loop started Monday, September 25.

There are currently almost 40,000 messages pending delivery for this
elist.  (That's about 20 copies per message per subscriber.)  We have
set those messages aside and will sort through them looking for
duplicates.  However, this will take some time.  Odds are if you have
good email connectivity this won't matter to you, since you've already
gotten multiple copies of the 6 original messages that were received
this morning anyway.

Since we will be working only with the queued messages looking for
duplicates, it is likely that you will get one more copy of messages you
have already received.  We ask that you please be tolerant and simply
ignore these (yet more) duplicate messages.

On the other hand, if you should still be getting duplicate messages
on say, Sunday or Monday, please do let us know.

Thanks!

xml-dev-help@lists.xml.org