   Re: XML + default CSS

  • From: Ravi Kumar <rkumar@inprise.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 08:55:14 -0800

Jeff, etall,

Sure, it can be done through a servlet.

But the scenario I am trying to solve is:
1. Create a simple XML file with no styling:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<BookList>
  <Book language="german">
     <Title>foo1</Title>
     <Author>bar1</Author>
  </Book>
  <Book language="eng">
     <Title>foo2</Title>
     <Author>bar2</Author>
  </Book>
</BookList>
2. Opening this file with a CSS only browser (aka Netscape6)
    the output is
    "foo1bar1foo2bar2"
    all in one single line.

In pure HTML and CSS speak, this is the RIGHT way - strip all tags you are
not
aware off. But ain't useful or usable.

Using XSLT, one could create a HTML page off line and then present a view
very
much like what IE5 has builtin (the XML tree view). But that needs to be
explicitly done for each XML file - not really an option. Note that there
is no
webserver in play, it's just opening a local file.

Rgds
Ravi