   Re: XML Schemas: Best Practices

  • From: Toivo Lainevool <tlainevool@yahoo.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 09:17:19 -0800 (PST)

--- "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org> wrote:
> Below I have listed what I perceive to be the benefits of
> this approach:
<snip/>
> - The no-namespace components can assume many different semantics. For
> each schema that <include>s them, they can take on a new role and new
> semantics.

This seems like it could be a disadvantage. A "semantically aware" processor
would not realize that the elements in the doc actually refer to the same type
of thing.

As an example, lets say you are looking for a new car and you want to query the
web for cars under $20,000 with a user rating of greater 4 out of 5. Lets say
may search engine find the following two code snippets:

<productinfo xmlns="www.products.com">
   <car>Honda Civic</car>
   <price>$16,000</price>
</productinfo>

<userreviewsummary xmlns="www.reviews.com">
   <productreviewed><car>Honda Civic</car></productreviewed>
   <rating max="5">4.7</rating>
</userreviewsummary>

Now one "car" element is in the "www.product.com" namespace and the other is in
the "www.reviews.com" namespace. How is a processor supposed to match these