   Re: Writing a DTD

  • From: "William D. Lindsey" <bill@blnz.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 11:13:37 -0800

"Hanson, Jon" wrote:

> then such expressions would not be valid xml,  so you can't really write a
> DTD for them.
> an XML equivalent of what you appear to be attempting might be something
> like:-
>
> <lambda>
>         <name>fred</name>
> </lambda>

If you're trying to express a DTD-constrained lisp grammar in XML,
that's probably the approach to take.

SGML, by virtue of its configurable concrete syntax, lets you get
a bit closer to the original lisp syntax.

I would never recommend that anybody actually use this for anything,
but you can find a toy example of lisp-in-SGML at:

 http://www.blnz.com/lml/

Enjoy,

Bill