   Re: XML Schemas: Best Practices - Chameleon design

  • From: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 07:31:23 -0500

Very good points Paul (and welcome back!)

You first design suggestion is to keep no-namespace schemas small, so
that schemas which wish to use the Chameleon components in the
no-namespace schema will not get a lot of unwanted components.

Good point.  Since the Chameleon components are context (namespace)
independent, there is no reason for creating no-namespace schemas with
lots of components.  Actually, now that you bring it up, I think that
the Chameleon design implicitly suggests lots of small no-namespace
schemas rather than a few, big no-namespace schemas.

One of the things that you said was:

> This is also an argument for using more local
> name scoping - if my main (namespaced) schema uses mainly local names,
> I am less likely to get clashes by including a no-namespace schema.

That's one way to deal with the namespace collision problem.  That
approach, however, can really inhibit your "style" don't you think?  I
think that a more flexible approach is the one that was discussed
yesterday - create proxy namespaced schemas.  Each proxy namespaced
schema <include>s a no-namespace schema.  The main schema then <import>s
the proxy schemas (rather than directly <include>ing the no-namespace
schemas).  What do you think of that approach?

Your point about the no-reference limitation on Chameleon components is
well taken.  I think that the bottom line is use the Chameleon design
wherever possible.  /Roger