   Re: Writing Standards...

  • From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 15:40:47 -0500

/ Seairth Jacobs <seairth@bbglobex.com> was heard to say:
| Can anyone suggest a good format (or sources to find one) for
| writing the following types of standards:
|
| 1. XML Standard (possibly including formal DTD and/or Schema definitions)
| 2. XML Processing/Parsing method (like SAX, DOM, etc.)
| 3. XML Subset (specific exclusion of certain XML features)

Most W3C documents related to XML are written in the XML Spec[1]
doctype or some slight variant of it. DocBook[2] is another good
choice, but since I'm actively involved in its development, I might
not be exactly unbiased :-)

| Are there any online discussion services that are suited for this
| particular sort of work?

I find web-based discussion services so tedious to use that I almost
never do.

[1] http://www.sun.com/software/xml/developers/specdtd/
[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@East.Sun.COM | The stone fell on the pitcher? Woe to the
XML Technology Center     | pitcher. The pitcher fell on the stone? Woe