   Re: Simplicity of XPath

  • From: Miloslav Nic <nicmila@idoox.com>
  • To: Matt Sergeant <matt@sergeant.org>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 16:39:19 +0100

In last few months I had to answer quite a few XPath related
questions so I am speaking from some experience

/html/body/p
//table

are very easy to grasp

//body/p[@id=name(//head/meta[3])]/span[position()=last()]/preceding-sibling::*[starts-with(name(),'s')]

needs a bit of experience

It is like a regular expressions:

match: abc is very easy
match: (a|b) not so difficult
today I needed:  (\(|\)) and a colleague did not understand and it is
just a previous case with parentheses instead of letters

The good thing about XPath is a reasonable learning curve:
you will learn basics in 30 minutes and learn and learn years to come

You may find these Zvon resources useful:

http://zvon.org/xxl/XPathTutorial/General/examples.html
http://www.zvon.org/cgi-bin/xlab/bin/xpath.py
http://www.zvon.org/cgi-bin/xlab/bin/xpathAxes.py