   Re: Dangers of Subsetting? (was RE: Pull-based XML parsers?)

  • From: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:39:32 +0800

Sean McGrath wrote:

> Fact: interoperability with XML is not a no-brainer.
> Fact: Common XML is an honest attempt at making
> XML interoperability a no brainer.
> Fiction: Common XML is dangerous.

No-one has said Common XML (as a data format) is dangerous.
I said that developers should boycott parsers that call themselves
XML but only implement a subset except for specific-purpose systems:
so you it is fine to make a subset parser (e.g. for SOAP) and
say "this is a parser for a subset of XML" but it is not fine to
say "this is an XML parser".

> The *real *danger lies in burying ones head in the
> sand, pretending that interopability with XML is a done
> deal - even in a world of 100% compliant parsers.

Red herring. Are you saying that interoperability will be improved by
letting any arbitrary subset parser to say it is "XML"?

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe