   RE: Subsetting/ Canonical Parsers/ XML Compliance/ etc.

  • From: Michael Brennan <Michael_Brennan@Allegis.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:49:06 -0800

As a developer, I've often been burned by wasting time investigating a tool that supposedly supports some particular standard or protocol, only to find after investing time and effort that the tool does not live up to expectations. I take this very seriously. I'm too busy to waste time sifting through the claims of dishonest vendors to determine if the tool really meets my needs. There are vendors that I routinely ignore; I don't bother to investigate their tools because I've been burned by them in the past. I wish more developers would do the same. If developers would boycott vendors that misrepresent their products, than we would have much more honest vendors and better interoperability in the world.

Does it make sense to write specialized parsers that only deal with a specific DTD/schema? Certainly it does. If I have a need to deal with SVG in a program, I am going to try to find an SVG parser before I search for an XML parser, because an SVG parser will probably give me much greater value. Likewise, if I need to parse RDF, I probably will try to identify an RDF parser before resorting to a generic XML parser. But if you are going to write an SVG parser, than call it a "SVG parser", not an XML parser! If you write an RDF parser, than call it an RDF parser, not an XML parser! For that matter, if you write a MinML parser, than call it a MinML parser and not an XML parser. If you do that, then you've got no argument from me. When you call it an XML parser, though, then we have an argument, and I will boycott your products.

If I obtain an "XML parser" from someone, only to find that it only supports a subset of XML or a specific document type, I will feel deceived and I will boycott that vendor's or developer's products. If I need something that only supports a specific document type or a specific subset of XML, than I will seek something that only supports that document type or a specific subset. If I obtain an "XML parser" it is because I am looking for an XML parser, and it better support XML! Otherwise, my time has been wasted because the developer or vendor has misrepresented their product, and I resent that.

I will also add that there is typically great value in implementing specialized parsers as a layer on top of more generalized parsers. The value is in not reinventing the wheel and in making sure that the subset of XML relevant to that specialized parser is implemented properly. I've been working with SOAP quite a bit lately. When I first started working with it and surveyed the toolkits available at the time, I found the existing toolkits to be in a very sorry state. Not only that, but implementors posting on the SOAP discussion list often raised "issues" and proposed "solutions" for those issues blissfully ignorant of the fact that these issues had already been solved by available XML technologies. One that kept surfacing, for instance, was various proposals for how to encode Unicode characters in a SOAP message (which became a particularly important issue since the "XML" implementations of the SOAP libraries did not deal with character encoding issues properly). I think I got a bit irate in some of my postings in response to this, but I was frustrated over people who had swept aside mature, proven XML technologies and decided to implement the "relevant subset" themselves -- and they kept doing it wrong! I found it more expedient to build my own SOAP implementation built atop generic XML technologies, than to waste time with more specialized SOAP libraries that had major deficiencies and interoperability issues because the implementors failed to leverage proven, mature, general XML technologies that were readily available. I think there's some lessons for folks to learn, there.