   Namespaces and Schemes

  • From: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 12:22:28 +0000

Hello everyone,
I have an XML document with a namespace:-

<xml xmlns="http://waptechinfo.com/ns">
  <myelement/>
</xml>

Now, I want to 'attach' a scheme [sic] to the namespace, that tells both
humans and parsers not only what the content and structure of the document
is, but what it means as well.
Question: How do I best go about doing this?

You may be asking "why?" - the answer is that although namespaces give a
unique name to a set of XML names, they have *nothing whatsoever* to do with
those names. However, I am developing a system (well a processor for a
document framework; see the RDF IG lists) whereby the namespace of a
document and its scheme are very closely binded, and I *need* some means of
tying them together before I can go on to the next step: which is
recognising parsing and separating self describing rules etc.

This is a messy problem, and I realise this sort of thing usually start big
arguements, but I just want to find the "easiest" solution for my particular
program. The problems I am facing at the moment are:-
1. DTDs can't be mixed on the level that I am trying to achieve this
2. XML Schemas can't be validated on this level
3. RDF Schemas don't have anything to do with the structure I need
If you still haven't got a clue as to what I am hinting at here, look
through the RDF IG archives for my SDF example, and tell me how on earth I
am supposed to validate it (let's just say it mixes a *lot* of different
vocabularies).

Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer
The Semantic Web: A Resource - http://xhtml.waptechinfo.com/swr/
WAP Tech Info - http://www.waptechinfo.com/
Mysterylights.com - http://www.mysterylights.com/
"The Internet; is that thing still around?" - Homer J. Simpson