   Re: Subsetting/ Canonical Parsers/ XML Compliance/ etc.

  • From: Daniel Veillard <Daniel.Veillard@w3.org>
  • To: Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:22:32 +0100

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 07:31:10PM -0500, Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com wrote:
> 	> > I'm wondering if our experience is unusual. -Tim
>
> 	> I don't know what Antarcti.ca's use-cases are, but they probably
> 	> are within the bounds of Common-XML.
>
> 	Interesting point that Tim raises.  The real-world interoperability
> problems that I hear about seem to mainly involve  encodings, whitespace
> handling, entities of various types, namespaces, and of course
> valid/wellformed. A good number of them are "RTFM" issues not conformance
> per se, e.g. whitespace handling, and the numerous ways that people manage
> to get confused by namespace declarations and prefixes.
>
> 	My suspicion is the same as Don's -- people who don't have
> interoperability problems are probably not pushing the XML 1.0  envelope,
> either by accident or design.  I'd be very interested to hear about robust
> applications that work well across a variety of  platforms and parsers yet
> depend on  things (like attribute default values, processing instructions,
> and external parsed entities) that are outside the Common XML Core.

Maybe because the deployment is more "data" oriented than "document" oriented.

I'm personally waiting for the Gnome and other free software teams to start
deploying Docbook XML, I expect some "interesting" feedback. There is one
obvious one already, but it's not related to compliance: "we lack free XML
authoring tools for documentation teams". That's one of the reason there
hasn't been yet a transition, but this will probably occurs within the next
year (at least for the Gnome project).

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | libxml Gnome XML toolkit