   RE: Subsetting/ Canonical Parsers/ XML Compliance/ etc.

  • From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 00:58:25 -0800

> What was very noticeable from the early and crappy way that many
> applications did not support xml:lang properly,

or encodings...

> It would not be solved by reducing the spec: if you just have
> elements, data and comments someone would immediately try to get rid of
> comments.

Yes, the 80% (this is good enough for now) philosophy applies to
*any* standard. The only thing I can think of that *might* alleviate
some of the problems would be using ASN for the specs...

Again, XML conformance, for a relatively young standard is generally
*excellent*. The fact that XML parsers are a commodity* (thereby
meaning that many people use the same parser), means that interoperability
is even better than one might otherwise get.

----
* I should note that Tim was one of the folk that very accurately predicted
that the parsing technology would rapidly become a non-issue in terms
of implementation.