   Re: XML Schemas: Best Practices

  • From: Richard Lanyon <rgl@decisionsoft.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:29:44 +0000 (GMT)

Mike Ripley wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Roger L. Costello wrote:

> >So, not only can the Chameleon components incorporate into many
> >different namespaces, but also, they can have multiple different
> >semantics, i.e., different semantics in each schema they are used
> >within.

> I think allowing different semantics in each schema subverts the
> real reason why you would create Chameleon components to begin
> with - reuse.

I think, though, that it is entirely valid to regard Chameleon
components as re-using syntax rather than re-using semantics. As long
as everyone (and by "everyone", I mean the schema authors rather than
the instance authors) realises that this is what we are doing, there
shouldn't be a problem. Should there?

--
Richard Lanyon (Software Engineer) |     "The medium is the message"
XML Script development,            |             - Marshall McLuhan