   Re: OFFTOPIC: Making Outlook mailing list friendly (was RE: Subsetting/

  • From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@home.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:42:58 -0500

<Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com> asked -

> Does anyone have any helpful hints on how to use MS
Outlook without
> seriously irritating those with whom one corresponds who
are using more
> standard (sic!) mailers?  For example, can it be
configured to NOT use
> HTML-ish markup, but rather send plain text?  Is there
some way to persuade
> it to quote with ">" the way God intended rather than by
indenting the
> quoted text?  Or should I just select everything and set
it to a reasonable
> pointsize and black before sending?
>
> (Yeah, I know ... "get a decent mailer" ... that,
unfortunately causes as
> many problems with my internal mail as Outlook causes with
my external mail.
> Sigh ... hoisted on my own petard when it comes to
"creative" conformance
> with standards, that's for sure!).

Outlook Express has some settings on the options pages to
send mail in either html or text MIME type.  I'm pretty sure
Outlook has the same - just keep fishing around in the
options and you will probably find it.

Same for the leading ">" - you can specify no character or
some other character too if you like.

Happy Hunting,

Tom Passin