   Re: Embedding SQL statements in XML

  • From: Alexey Gokhberg <alexei@bluewin.ch>
  • To: Michel Rodriguez <mrodrigu@ieee.org>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:22:46 +0100

Michel Rodriguez wrote:

> I was wondering whether some work, maybe standardization work, has been
> done on embedding data from a relational database into an XML document.
> The document is processed to generate the complete XML document, but the
> non-processed version is the one that is edited and managed in the system.
>
> I realize that various type of results can be required, from a single
> value to a complete table, through one or more rows or columns (columns
> being even trickier than rows). Plus the queries can be variously
> parametrized and connection to the DB is always a problem. But I am
> surprized not to find _anything_ on the subject.

Hello

My company created the XSLT-based technology for embedding RDBMS data
(obtained via SQL queries) into XML documents. It is described in

http://www.unicorn-enterprises.com/xslsql.htm

This technology is fully implemented in our product - Unicorn XSLT
Processor, Database Edition. It is available free of charge (see the
license included in the distribution) and can be downloaded at

http://www.unicorn-enterprises.com/uxtdb_1_02_16.zip

Our approach employs XSLT stylesheets which are, basically, collections
of templates used to generate result XML documents. Templates may
contain literal XML fragments intermixed with SQL calls (possibly
parametrized) and placeholders for query results. Powerful features
provided by the standard XSLT can be used to develop more sophisticated
applications.

Kind regards,

Alexey Gokhberg
Unicorn Enterprises SA, Switzerland