   RE: ubiquitous XML?

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 08:24:52 -0600

I just did a round with our developers. I told
them that for their own sake, they might want
to put away the C++ editors and other ad hoc
test tools while they are learning how to
apply XML and pick up PFE and the add in to
the browser that kicks off the validator.

They are both free.  They are basic.  They
kickstart the basic understanding.

There are lots of different situations.
Where people are on the learning curve
affects the tools they should be using.
Hiding behind complex tools has in my
experience since the early days of SGML
been the worst approach to understanding
it.  In large scale production, different
rules prevail.

Until one understands basics, the cut
and paste, get the object and methods
mentality of visual programming is often a
hindrance to understanding.  The urge to code
to get something done is deadly.

Beyond that, they have to be prompted to
update the rapidly changing components.  Out
of the last four times I went to help someone
figure out why they could not make an example
work, four times I found old dlls.  RTFM.

The next problem is trendiness.  I
am seeing too many RFPs that request
web browser interfaces in applications
where they make absolutely no sense.
We have to be able to separate the
application of markup from the environment
of the tools.  Lifecycle support from
markup is good in any situation.  A
web browser is not always the best way
to apply it.