   RE: ubiquitous XML?

  • From: rsanford <rsanford@nolimitsystems.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:39:15 -0600

two christmas' ago i got a box set of black & decker versa pack
tools. cool set. there are five tools in the box. over the past two
years i've used four of the five. i don't feel guilty about not
using the other one because i have yet to find a job for which it
is appropriate. the same way with xml - just because there are all
these way-cool tools that come in the box doesn't mean that i have
to use 'em.

i don't use multiple inheritance in c++ either. of course most of
my coding is done in MFC which puts a big damper on that sort of
thing but still, it isn't a tool that i use. that doesn't mean i
can't be productive in c++, i just choose not to use all of the
complexity that is offered.

xml is simple. schemas are pretty darn cool, namespaces are pretty
darn cool. XSLT is way-cool. i don't use 'em all and even when i
do use them i don't always use all of their capabilities. i do
what i need to in order to get the job done and to get it done in
a manner that is easy for whoever comes after me to follow.

chris makes very good points below. i second them with my additional
verbiage above.

rjsjr