   Re: XPath question..perhaps naive..

  • From: "Christopher R. Maden" <crism@lexica.net>
  • To: XML-LIST Copy <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 01:52:39 -0800

At 19:43 16-11-2000 -0800, Jack Lincoln wrote:
>Hey there..

Hey, Jack.  [For those of you who don't know, Jack is the one who did the
actual work behind the prototype XML browser presented at
<URL:http://www.oreilly.com/%7Ecrism/xtech2k/>.]

>is there an XPath that would select all parent nodes having a certain
>tagname?
>sort of the reverse of ".//myTagName"

It's not clear exactly what you're asking for.

In a match pattern, all elements that are parents of a certain element type:

    *[myTagName]

This will also work in a select pattern to find all elements that are
children of the current node and are parents of a certain element type.

In a select pattern to find all elements that are descendants of the
current node that are parents of a certain element type:

    .//*[myTagName]

In a select pattern to find all elements anywhere in the document that are
parents of a certain element type:

    //*[myTagName]

>if this is not the appropriate forum for a question such as this..
>sorry.. but please tell me where a more appropriate forum could be found.

You might try the XSL list: <URL:http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/>.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, Senior XML Analyst, Lexica LLC
222 Kearny St., Ste. 202, San Francisco, CA 94108-4510