   RE: XML socket server applications

  • From: Don Park <donpark@docuverse.com>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:00:29 -0800

> Is it more usual to:
>
>  (i)  Precede each XML document with a MIME header,
>       including a Content-Length header (which might
>       be mandatory for the purposes of the application), OR
>  (ii) Just send "pure" XML documents with no preceding
>       headers, OR
> (iii) Do something else

There is no usual way.  I prefer to signal end of document
with a form-feed character.  Double form-feed could be used
to signal end of a document sequence.  I recommend that you
separate input from parsing because XML parser implementations
frequently assume a stream contains only a single document.

Just read until form-feed, push the result into parser queue,
move on to next document.  When you receive an empty document,
close connection.

Best,

Don Park
Docuverse