   Re: Real stuff

  • From: Matt Sergeant <matt@sergeant.org>
  • To: Didier PH Martin <martind@netfolder.com>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 00:51:16 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Didier PH Martin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just noticed an XML server. Is there any other one like this? I mean
> servers able to process real-time XML not off line processed document. The
> server handling the XML link below is a high capacity server. I do not know
> if they are using XSLT to transform  the XML document on the server side.

I have no idea what kind of server they are using, but they've been
serving files ending in .xml for a while now (note that they are not
actually serving xml or xhtml even).

However, Didier, I had breakfast with you last Sunday - how can you not
know about AxKit! Its a perfect architecture for a news type site, where
you don't actually have any dynamic content on each page - its all static
(albeit regularly updated). Actually your Ads are dynamic, but we can take
care of that with a trivial output filter. AxKit will run at about 60-80%
of the speed of a raw Apache server, so with the right setup you can serve
many millions of page views a day from it. And its not offline
transformation. Its just cached.

(sorry if this sounds a bit like a plug, but at least I'm not selling
anything, unless you want tech support or consultation)

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **
 // \\| // **     Personal Web Site: http://sergeant.org/     **