   Re: Transfering XML Data

  • From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@home.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:50:22 -0500

Jerry Murray asked -

> I have an application which involves transfering data to and from a
business
> partner.  We have suggested simply passing XML file using a Post
method over
> HTTP.  The actual files are small ( 2 - 5 k ).
>
> Our partner has suggested that when we want to send data that instead
of
> initially sending the data that we send a notice which would include a
URL
> from where they could later pulled the data.   Anyone have any
thoughts on
> this approach?

 I used this approach recently in putting together a demo in which four
laptops talked to each other, one after another.  It worked very well.
We actually wanted to open something on the receiving end that an
operator could see when the message came in.  But you can't push data to
a browser, especially one that may not be open (at least, not to IE,
which we used to be able to display the xml).

I wrote a simple little http server in python.  The sending end sent a
form to the server on the target computer.   The form contained the url
of the data page, which was an xml file.  On receipt of the posted form,
the server launched a browser instance pointed to the url.  I could have
done it with sockets, but using the browser to send the message took a
lot less time and engineering on my part.

This worked very well and was quite reliable.

Cheers,

Tom Passin