   Re: XML Editor recommendation?

  • From: Simon North <north@synopsys.COM>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:23:53 +0100

Rob,

I'm sure the others on the list will give you other ideas, but I'll try
and give you my insights as a professional tech writer working in a
large pubs department that could be comparable.

As I see it, you have a trade-off between expensive packages that
will hide the XML behind a nice user interface (Frame+SGML) or a
lot of cheaper packages that will hide the XML but give less GUI
support, to cheap packages that give you the raw XML with little or
no user interface. Basically, from high to low:

1. Adobe's Frame+SGML will hide everything from the user, but at
the cost of requiring you to expend significant time and effort in
creating the proprietory application to support it. Expensive.

2. SoftQuad's XMetaL will hide nearly everything, but allow you to
choose whether you work in WYSIWYG or code mode. Some time
and effort are needed to create the proprietory application. Medium
cost.

3. XMLSpy, or similar, will give you a minimal GUI and direct
exposure of the XML code, but will require little or no time or effort
to set up. (The developers in Redmond told me that MS XML
Notepad was written by an intern; it was never meant to be
released as a 'real' package.) Medium to low cost.

To quote an old adage: 'you pays your money and makes your
choices'.  In this case, none of the packages is a perfect choice, it
comes down to where and how you want to spend your money and
how important ease of use is.

In contrast to these off-the-shelf solutions, I'd like to suggest an
alternative:

1. Let your users continue to use MS Word, but push / persuade /
coerce / train them into using styles in a structured and disciplined
manner.

2. Convert the structured MS Word documents (via RTF) into XML
... there are a few really excellent conversion packages around.

My ten cents.

Simon North.
The *other* XML writer.