   Re: XML Editor recommendation?

  • From: Dan Vint <dvint@slip.net>
  • To: lee.pollington@biomednet.com ("Pollington, Lee (ELSLON)")
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 07:16:17 -0800 (PST)

> I am intending to role out Arbortext Epic LE to a group of journalists and
> editors. It's cheap and simple, but the interface is still quite intuitive:
> tab to the next element, return gives a context menu of tags that can be
> used in that context.
>
> The only problem I have with any of these editors is that none of them
> support XSLT or even standard CSS for the styling, some have preview modes;
> I'm thinking of XMetal, but I believe you are tied into MSXML then (urgh).
> Epic uses FOSI for styling.

XMetaL has a version of James Clark's XT wrapped in a DLL that can be used. In
version 2 of this product you have to find it in the support directory to
install it where previous versions it was a little more noticable to install
it.

Yes their default is to use MS, but this approach shows a method for
incorporating any XSLT processor that you wanted to use:
	1) Wrap the parser in a DLL if it doesn't have one.
	2) Write the macro script that links the parser into the XMetaL
	   environment.

..dan