   Re: URNs as SYSTEM IDs

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:10:11 -0500 (EST)

Norman Walsh writes:

 > | The problem is that this kind of infrastructure is barely
 > | deployed, and many developers don't even know of its existence.
 > | Like many validating parsers, they're just going to punt when
 > | they hit a URN SystemLiteral.
 >
 > True. Alas. Well, the entity resolution technical committee of
 > OASIS is working to recast TR9401 in an XML framework which might
 > help.  But even before then, there's certainly plenty of free
 > code[1] around to do the job; it's dead simple in a SAX parser.

Would OASIS really want to create an XML-specific method for
URN-resolution?  I think that either (a) URNs have been dead in the
water for a couple of years, but no one has quite had the guts to
write the obit, or, if that's not the case, then (b) URNs need a
general resolution mechanism that's not confined to a tiny area like
XML processing tools.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/