   RE: XML Editor recommendation?

  • From: Lauren Wood <lauren@sqwest.bc.ca>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 09:49:46 -0800
On 23 Nov 2000, Pollington, Lee (ELSLON) wrote:

> I would still like to know XMetal's level of compliance with W3C CSS
> standards.

There are two aspects for this. You can create a CSS stylesheet
with any CSS constructs you like. There is help for CSS1, and an
extension mechanism to allow you to add CSS2 (or 3, or any
extensions).

Then there's the formatting engine, or what parts of the CSS
stylesheet will actually affect the display in XMetaL. The support
here is more limited. A lot of CSS 1 is covered. Some of CSS 2
(particularly things that we thought were necessary for XML
support) is covered. We concentrated on those things we thought
would help people create XML documents. XMetaL 2 supports
more CSS than XMetaL 1, and I'm only too happy to hear priority
lists for adding more CSS support to future versions of the XMetaL
formatting engine - sending me private email is probably better to
avoid clogging up this list too much.

cheers,

Lauren