   Re: URNs as SYSTEM IDs

  • From: Michael Mealling <michael@bailey.dscga.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:41:58 -0500

----- Forwarded message from Michael Mealling <michael@bailey.dscga.com> -----

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:03:13 -0500
From: Michael Mealling <michael@bailey.dscga.com>
Subject: Re: URNs as SYSTEM IDs
To: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 03:28:13PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com> was heard to say:
> | This draft seems to be an attempt to create a parallel to PUBLIC without
> | using PUBLIC:
> |
> | >It is standard practice within W3C
> | >standards to forego the use of the PUBLIC identifier in favor of
> | >'well known' SYSTEM identifiers. There have been several IETF
> | >standards that have simply created non-existent URIs in order to
> | >simply identify but not resolve the SYSTEM identifier for some given
> | >XML document.
>
> Oh, barf. I can't tell what level IANA thinks they're registering.
> For XML Namespaces[2] it's reasonable to have non-existent URIs, but
> for that's not true of SYSTEM identifiers (ever).

I wrote that draft kind of quickly in order to get it under the deadline
and start this discussion.

Correct me if I'm wrong here: so it is always the case that, in order
to parse some XML according to a DTD and the SYSTEM literal is a URI,
then I must have connectivity in order to download the DTD? In that
case, how are names for DTD standardized? I rarely see anyone related
to XML using a PUBLIC identifier. They all tend to use the SYSTEM id
as some sort of name instead.

I can easily deprecate assigning a URN to a DTD in this spec. But
it does raise the issue of what the suggested practice from the W3C is.

> | I'm not sure where this leaves us - in the land of rarely-deployed
> | architecture, I suspect.
>
> I suppose. Names are not addresses and these things need *names*
> folks, oh, you know, I'm about to give up on that point...Happy
> Thanksgiving everyone.

Whether you give up or not, people will start using addresses as names
whether its possible to do so or not.

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821