   To DTD or to XML Schema? WAS: DTD or XML Schema editor recommendations (

  • From: MarkH@i2.co.uk
  • To: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:40:39 +0000

Thanks Henry - am trying it out and spotted this - how sharp am I? :-)

It looks a great tool and am tempted to go straight to XML Schema's rather
than DTD with subsequent conversion to XML Schema, but am not sure if this
is wise just now.

I have two concerns - support for XML Schema and speed of adoption - our
customers may prefer to receive a DTD because they are familiar with it and
already have tools to help them deal with it.

Opinions on things to consider when choosing between providing a DTD or an
XML Schema would be useful - any out there!?

Also, how conformant is Microsoft's MSXML to the October CR for XML Schemas?

Thanks

Mark

ps when I do File/New in XED and it asks for a DTD should I be able to give
it "c:\XMLSchema.dtd" (saved from http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema.dtd)?
It tells me "failed to open and process file:///c:\XMLSchema.dtd proceeding
without one". (XED v0.5.3.2)

ps any plans for syntax coloring or windows keybindings? also choice of font
would be nice.

--
Agile HTML Editor
  Agilic Corporation