   Binary data parser grammar using XML

  • From: Sankaranarayanan K V <sankar@divine.migv.mot.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:53:54 +0530

Hi,

Are there any tools which can take a data format specification in XML
and generate code to parse messages conforming to that?

Let me explain what I'm looking for with an example.

Say, I have got a message 8 bytes in length with two integers a and b.
I am looking for a tool using which I can specify

(1) the format of the message (e.g., sequence of type, length, value)

and get either of the following:

(1) generated code using which I can access named fields
    e.g., I can write

    msg.a(5);
    msg.b(6);

_or_

(2) a library which can read format specifications at run-time and
    enable access to data fields:

    e.g., I may write:

    msg.set("a", 5);
    msg.set("b", 6);

I would like to the data format grammar specified in XML to have similar
powers as that of ASN.1. For example, I should be able to specify
complex data types like structures and sequences.

Any tools?

Thanks.
Regards
Sankar