   Re: ISO standardization & availability

  • From: Ken North <ken_north@compuserve.com>
  • To: Ronald Bourret <rpbourret@rpbourret.com>, abrahams@acm.org
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 02:20:25 -0800

> One issue I haven't seen mentioned in the idea of proposing
XML for ISO standardization in one form or another is that
of availability.

There have been changes the in old model (specs being available only by
purchase from ISO).

> after it had gone through the ISO process, you could get the resulting
spec free from his organization's Web site or pay ISO for it.

We discussed this in October on this list and over in Dr. Dobb's XML forum.
It has URLs for anyone who wants to read more.
www.ddj.com/topics/xml

The VRML specification from the Web3D Consortium was advanced through ISO
via an agreement that gives the consortium Class C liason status with ISO.
The consortium put the spec up on its web site and ISO distributes them to
its member standards bodies.