   RE: ISO standardization & availability

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: martind@netfolder.com, XMLDev list <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 08:49:13 -0600

Good morning, Didier:

That is optimistic but I also think inevitable.
There actually has been work going on to get
the fully integrated media standards in place.
MPEG is working hard on that and as usual, there
are the rice bowl compatibility issues, but the
liaisons between the Web3D, MPEG, ISO, and
W3C are proceeding.  I am not sure what the
problem is for XML other than no one needs
more cooks and an alliance to rubberstamp a
spec isn't useful and in truth, could do more
damage than good.  In the cases I have cited,
the parties are all partners and though that
is noisy and slow, it seems to be getting the
job done.

I had to explain to my dentist yesterday
between drills, that the tech we use on the
Internet was never intended to be used the
way the WWW uses it and that a lot of the
problems he has start there.  I expect to
see integration as well.  Those who already
work on the interactive content beyond
text (eg, the 3D folks) have been hard at
work on getting better specs in place
but we still have limits imposed by
being hosted on 70's era pipes hooked
to 80/90s era hardware designs.

But that is changing fast.  As Erik
Naggum told me on comp-text-sgml some
years ago, the one undeniable contribution
of the WWW to the Internet was money to
build better infrastructure. The
success of HTML was not in bringing
hypertext to the world.  Much better systems
existed and we have had to repeat a lot
of development work.  It was in enabling
a very large community of authors to emerge
who could then learn the more complex and
better enabled systems.  The killerapp is
still the talented author with razor sharp
tools but the first requirement is desire
to use them.

There will be some kickbutt applications
coming out soon from the X3D work, some of
which will be as X3D and MPEG are, XML-based,
and others such as Sony's Blendo player,
interoperable through the object model
with X3D.  I expect an emergence point
as broadband and bandwidth hungry apps
such as these satisfy each other.  Then
we will finally see very professional complex
content hit the pipes and into the next
generation of TV.  Sony has some strong
demos already.

If you look at the work in interactive
fiction done even in text media, the abstract
concepts are becoming concrete and the communities
of authors are growing.  A merging of the
text-based fiction writers and the 3D animators
is moving along nicely.  Now that 1.4 gHz machines
are out there for real, it is almost showtime.

The bigger problem is how expensive the
content is to produce and the size of
the teams needed.  When doing IrishSpace,
we proved to ourselves we could do long
form satisfactorily even in the P200 32mb
machines, but the download time and the
cost of building it were both still excessive,
so from the web perspective, it didn't work.
Yet, the Jeannie Johnston sails from Fenit
Harbor next spring, so for what we were
trying to accomplish, we succeeded wildly
proving that commercial success on the Web
is not the only metric.  Sometimes we have
to keep in mind that webtech can be used
for jobs other than becoming dot.coms, and
these other jobs can be even more exciting.

In 92 at an SGML conference in Boston, I spoke of
a time when a lot of us who started as artists
and turned to computer science for the next
generation of tools only to find them impoverished
would work for years to improve the tools, then
finally return to our beginnings to use them.
That time is now and I am more than grateful
to all who did the hard work to let us
have a season as aging children with better toys.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard