   RE: RDF? TM? (was Re: Didier's lab report)

  • From: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • To: martind@netfolder.com, Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>,Nikita Ogievetsky <nogievet@cogx.com>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 09:47:49 -0500

> Didier replies:
> You now Uche what could be very useful? it is to have the possibility to
> inherit the capabilities of an rdf: description.

	This is called a 'typedNode' and is part of RDF.

> Seriously, it would help tremendously if the rdf capabilities could be
> inherited like the linking capabilities are. This would turn links into
> smart links. So in the example above, an rdf interpreter would know that a
> <resource> element is an rdf description - would know that it is about the
> resource identified by xlink:href.

	There is already a clearcut mapping of XLink to RDF. Furthermore using a
particular type of RDF parsing (parseType='Resource') *arbitrary* XML can be
parsed into RDF triples. I have written an XSLT which performs Xlink -> RDF
and parses arbitrary XML into RDF triples:

	http://www.openhealth.org/RDF/rdfExtractify.xsl

	The common interpretation of XML + XLink is a node labelled directed graph.
Simply put this means that the element and attributes for nodes and the arcs
have names such as 'element', 'attribute', 'CDATA', 'comment'

	If you were to draw a directed graph on a blackboard, you probably would
name your arcs with names particular to the task at hand. This is called an
arc or edge labelled directed graph. RDF provides an interpretation of XML
as an edge labelled directed graph. What you do with it is up to you.

	http://www.openhealth.org/RDF/rdf_Syntax_and_Names.htm

Jonathan Borden
The Open Healthcare Group
http://www.openhealth.org