   Re: RDF? TM? (was Re: Didier's lab report)

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 17:42:09 -0500

At 10:29 AM 12/17/00 -0700, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
>> Didier replies:
>> My comment was more a comment or a statement that we poor XML developers
>> depends on the gods (W3C) since they write the recommendation and the XML
>> developers follow the rule to respect these recommendations.
>
>Not necessarily, but you know the exceptions very well.  No reason why we
>can't devise our own SAX, WebDAV, ebXML, etc. to meet the needs of
>semantic adventurers.

Given the subject line, Uche definitely has an appropriate attitude.

The Topic Maps folks seem to have run their own show with GCA/IDEAlliance
as a Host Organization, not a controller of the spec itself.

They've got some really interesting reading up at ("Working in the
Sunshine," "The Geeks are in Charge"):
http://topicmaps.org/about.html

OASIS also seems interested in encouraging small groups of developers to
band together and build new technologies through their technical committees
- $250 gets you in the door.

Gods?  They're good for some things, certainly, but 'we poor XML
developers' have plenty of opportunity to do good (and screw up) on our own
these days.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML