   scalable DTDs.

  • From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@qub.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 18:31:42 -0800

From:
"Structuring XML documents" by David Megginson.
( Prentice Hall, 1998 ).

Page 279.

"... this idea becomes even more powerful if a set
of DTDs is designed from the start to share a more
detailed base architecture .... Base architectures
could include models for book-oriented documents,
electronic commerce, technical specifications and
many other applications. Since XML is very young,
there is a good opportunity right now to work
with base architectures like these".

Since 2 years passed and XML is not that
young, could somebody please point me to any
example of 'base architecture' DTD ( or schema,
or whatever ) ?

Many thanks.

Rgds.Paul.

PS. I also like page 277:

"... every time you add new element types to DTD,
the software will have to be modified or even entirely
rewritten - otherwise, it might report an error, or worse,
produce unpredictable output".

Welcome to XSL ( which is 'or worse' ).

PPS. BTW , I think that the book is 'really good'.
I think that this '3 years old'  book appears to be
still 'up to date'.  ;-)

Not the case with many other XML books.

Ah, right - the book is actually about SGML, that's why ;-)