   Handling well-formedness or validity errors

  • From: Seairth Jacobs <seairth@bbglobex.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:46:25 -0500

When processing an XML ducument, how do you all suggest returning an appropriate error when the document is either not well-formed or is not valid (against a DTD or schema)?  More specifically, I am concerned with XML requests that are received over HTTP (or similar transport) and require some form of response.

In a small specification I am working on, I have come up with the following:

2) When it comes to well-formedness, I have no good thoughts.  Every idea I have thought of has a weakness or two.  I had even thought of returning an error at the HTTP level itself, but I didn't want to tie the specification to the transport.  Or do I need to?  Is it acceptable to use an HTTP-level 4xx error response when using HTTP as the transport, while using a different method altogether when using an onrelated transport (such as SMTP or FTP)?

Any thought would be appreciated.

---
Seairth Jacobs
seairth@bbglobex.com