   Re: Schemata are not just constraints [was: "RDF + Topic Maps" =TheFutur

  • From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
  • To: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:19:33 +0100

Hi Uche

Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> > This is a point that I find worrying, since this move toward using
> > schemata for what they are (schemas) that can lead to locking
> > applications to specific schema technologies is happening while the
> > number of alternatives is increasing...
>
> I'm not so pessimistic about this.  Most technologies I've seen lately
> that rely on schemata: RDF, SOAP, WSDL, ebXML, etc. have pluggable schema
> format.

Yes, as far as validation only is involved, and that's fine.

I feel more pessimistic, though, about relying on what W3C XML Schema is
calling "post validation infosets" (but is also existing in other
schemata technologies) and (at least as dangerous IMHO) about embedding
schema information in the instance documents.

My point was that while one can gain some nice looking object oriented
features, I wonder if the trade off isn't a risk to get locked with a
specific schemata since only this one would give you the infoset needed
by your application.

Eric