   Re: A Light Rant On Ontological Commitment

  • From: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:45:45 +0000

Len Bullard wrote:

> There are ancient stories about a Generalized OntoLogical
> Emergence Machine (GOLEM) that some might want to keep
> in mind.  It may be a pernicious comparison, but
> it may also be informative.  :-)

Nice one Len! I'll have nightmares at the next Ontological conference I
attend.

I came across the following snippet at a Digital Preservation conference
earlier this month:

It was Sir James Mackintosh (1765-1832) who first recorded the fact that
"Diffused knowledge immortalizes itself".

Q: What makes libraries different from the Internet?
A:There are always multiple copies of the stored data so that if one is
damaged you can get a copy from another source. (And you can compare copies
to identify any tampering with the facts!)

Martin Bryan