   RE: Handling well-formedness or validity errors

  • From: Manoj Dhooria <manojd@geometricsoftware.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>, Seairth Jacobs <seairth@bbglobex.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:33:32 +0530

Actually, the issue is more severe than just the handling of XML parsing
errors. I am building a distributed application where the client not only
wants to know if & what went wrong in HTTP transport & my request parsing,
but also the action that was expected of server per this request.

Since I could not find a standard way of handling it, I kind of started
embedding it in HTTP Reason-Phrase. E.g., "MyAppName#23 <my error text>"
with an appropriate HTTP status code. Where MyAppName is some prefix that my
server side code will always use - so client can parse the string & extract
it. If there is a browser that actually looks at the phrase returned by
server (my versions of both IE & Netscape give their own hard coded
messages), the client will see the code too. Since my clients usually ship
as my own vertical applications, I can always get the correct message &
code.

Whether to put your code in HTTP header or in entity actually appears to be
philosophical split - depends on how you look at your application.

Anyone with better ideas for handling these things?