   Re: books on XML schema

  • From: ricko <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 18:24:50 +0800

 From: "Tony O'Keeffe" <tony.okeeffe@trintech.com>
 > > Anyone care to recommend a decent book on XML schemas - what they are,
> > considerations in design, mapping from DTDs to schemas, etc - or even
DTD
> > design for that matter? Thanks in advance.

I haven't seen any books on XML Schemas yet. Several books have chapters
covering draft versions though.  I am aware of several excellent-sounding
books with fairly up-to-date material in progress.

The XML Schema specification has not been released in its final version yet.
The XML Schema Working Group has flagged in the Candidate Release draft that
some parts will be reviewed in the light of implementation experiences. And
any parts that changed in recent times are obiously a little less stable
than the more mature parts.

So when you get an XML Schemas book, or read a chapter, you need a little
patience that some of the details may be wrong for the final version.
However, until then perhaps the best approach is to read the tutorials on
XML.COM, read Roger Costello's online Tutorials. I suggest that if you
familiarize yourself with DTDs, XPath and the Datatypes spec, that will be a
fruitful way to approach the problem.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe