   RE: Schemata are not just constraints [was: "RDF + Topic Maps" = TheFutu

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: ricko <ricko@geotempo.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:05:04 -0600

The site cited (ooooh) notes that ontology meant a
logic of existence.  If we go that deep, we lose
ourselves in the ratholes of meaning which any good
chaos guru can tell you gets fuzzier and fuzzier at
the edges of universality for all the usual
non-linear dynamic system reasons.

But the SW as as far as I can tell isn't that.  It
becomes just as DTD/Schemas are, locally originated
and by syntax, globally sharable assertion
databases mapped to the resources available.  It
is a means to get a feedback loop in place over
these to narrow hits, discover associations, test
and initiate transactions, and so on.  Again,
if we concern ourselves with the quality and
operational issues, this is probably a slam
dunk technically.  I think the issues of
poli-sci, costs of development, cost recoupment,
authority and credentials are a lot tougher.
OTOH, those who need ontological services
will find ones that fit their own opinions,
the usual inter-ecological dance at the
boundaries happens, and parts of the
web which interoperates (let's say a
different class from Surfing 101) will
tighten up the descriptions and get the
desired results.

Let's face it, using a knowledge base
or expert system to augment the controls
of a manufacturing process is a known
bear.  They are expensive and require
substantial testing, but they do work
in limited domains.   We will find a lot
of heat at the overlaps as usual, so
as we discussed earlier, we will spend
a lot of time on the interlayer (extra-domain)
interfaces.   As Martin mentioned, we can
look at the utility of substitution groups.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard