   Re: Success factors for the Web and Semantic Web

  • From: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>, xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:46:18 +0000

> If the Semantic Web is whatever we want it to be, I'm not sure where
> the 'vision thing' comes in.
> Or maybe I just prefer a worse-is-better approach of slowly stumbling
> toward a fragmented but practical semantic web rather than a directed
> march [...]

This is where I agree with you (aha! consensus). Tim's vision is there to
help us to achieve this goal, but it is only his opinion, and he points
that out. We all have opinions about the Semantic Web. I think if everyone
stopped saying "this notion doesn't work" and instead starting thinking up
things that do work (see: http://www.blogspace.com/ ) then we would slowly
grind towards this semantic web. It should be some practical thing, and
TimBL's vision of it doesn't matter much. What matters is the fact that the
overall concept is there, the concept that a practical semantic web is
starting to become a reality; and not only a reality, but hopefully a
useful reality! Can anyone think up ten uses of a proto-semantic web? I'm
sure if everyone on this list replied, we'd end up with about 1000
suggestions of stuff that we could get working on *right now*.
In oher words: I urge everyone stop talking about the "heuristics of
ontological models" and do something useful that we can all benefit from,
like Blogspace.

Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer
http://uwimp.com/
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ [ERT/GL/PF]
"Perhaps, but let's not get bogged down in semantics."
   - Homer J. Simpson, BABF07.